Worker electrocuted while changing light bulb in Tolleson

Posted: Updated:
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver

TOLLESON, Ariz. -- A worker was electrocuted while changing the bulb on a light pole in Tolleson Saturday morning, according to the Tolleson Fire Department.

“Originally, it went out as a high-angle rescue,” said Tolleson Fire Chief George Good.

But when firefighters arrived at the Tolleson Service Center near 104th Avenue and Van Buren Street, they found that a man had been electrocuted when the bucket he was in touched a power line.

“Somehow the boom came in contact with the electrical wires. It's unclear how that happened, but he was electrocuted, and after he was brought down it was determined that he was deceased,” Good said.

Firefighters cut the power before bringing the man down.

“Our crews always want to make sure the power is secured and that they're not at further risk, but obviously the primary interest is going to be that we want to do everything we can for the patient,” Good said.

Right now, the worker's death is being called an accident, although several agencies are investigating.

His identity hasn't been released.

No other injuries were reported.