Weekend freeway closures and restrictionsPosted: Updated:
PHOENIX —Improvement projects will require closures or lane restrictions along sections of Phoenix-area freeways this weekend (Sept. 26-29), according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Drivers are encouraged to allow extra travel time or consider alternate routes while these scheduled restrictions are in place:
• Eastbound Interstate 10 closed between the I-17 “Stack” interchange and the State Route 51 “Mini Stack” interchange from 9 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Saturday (Sept. 27) for Deck Park Tunnel maintenance. Eastbound I-10 on-ramp at Seventh Street also closed. Both I-17 ramps to eastbound I-10 closed. DETOUR: Please consider alternate routes. Eastbound I-10 traffic will detour along southbound I-17 and reconnect with I-10 near Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
• Westbound Interstate 10 closed between the I-17 “Split” interchange near Sky Harbor Airport and Seventh Avenue from 9 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday (Sept. 28) for tunnel maintenance. Southbound State Route 51 ramp to westbound I-10 also closed. DETOUR: Westbound I-10 traffic will detour along northbound I-17 to the I-10 “Stack” interchange. Westbound Loop 202 ramp to westbound I-10 will remain open and traffic will exit at Seventh Street and use McDowell Road to travel beyond tunnel closure.
• Eastbound Interstate 10 (toward Tucson) narrowed to one lane between Queen Creek and Riggs roads from 9 p.m. Friday to 8:30 a.m. Saturday (Sept. 27), from 8 p.m. Saturday to 10 a.m. Sunday (Sept. 28) and from 9 p.m. Sunday to 5 a.m. Monday (Sept. 29) for pavement resurfacing. Eastbound I-10 on-ramp at Riggs Road closed. DETOUR: Please allow extra travel time. Consider using eastbound I-10 on-ramp at Riggs Road while the Queen Creek ramp is closed.
• Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) on- and off-ramps at 90th Street in Scottsdale area closed for approximately one week from 10 p.m. Sunday to 5 a.m. Monday (Oct. 6) for bridge widening. 90th Street also narrowed to one lane in both directions near Loop 101. DETOUR: Please use Loop 101 ramps at Shea Boulevard or Via De Ventura.
• Eastbound Interstate 10 narrowed to one lane in areas between State Route 85 and Watson roads in the Buckeye area from 10 p.m. Friday to 9 p.m. Sunday (Sept. 28) for pavement resurfacing. DETOUR: Please allow extra travel time and be prepared to slow down and merge safely in work zones.
• Northbound State Route 85 ramp to eastbound I-10 closed from 3 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday (Sept. 27) for pavement resurfacing. DETOUR: Northbound SR 85 traffic can detour east on Southern Avenue and north on Watson Road to reach I-10. Eastbound I-10 ramp to southbound State Route 85 closed overnight from 1 a.m. to 8 a.m. Saturday (Sept. 27) for pavement resurfacing. DETOUR: Eastbound I-10 traffic can detour south on Palo Verde Road and east on Southern Avenue to reach State Route 85.
For a listing of other restrictions for Phoenix-area freeway improvements, including overnight ramp closures, visit www.azdot.gov/OtherClosures.
For a complete list of highway and freeway restrictions around the state visit ADOT’s Travel Information site at www.az511.gov or call 511. Sign up for ADOT email updates, including weekend freeway restrictions, at www.azdot.gov. Another great way to find out more about ADOT's projects and programs to improve Arizona's transportation system is the ADOT blog at www.azdot.gov/blog.