Shooting suspect captured at Sky Harbor

Posted: Updated:
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman

PHOENIX (AP) -- The busiest terminal at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport was on lockdown for more than three hours Thursday as police searched for a suspect in a shooting in nearby Tempe before making the arrest.

Flights out of Terminal 4 were grounded for a brief time as hundreds of law-enforcement officers, some armed with assault rifles, looked for a man believed to be hiding in the parking garage.

Layron Dejarnette was eventually taken into custody and the terminal was reopened to passengers around 6 p.m. MST.

Airport officials said some flights out of Terminal 4 would be delayed until operations could return to normal.

American Airlines/US Airways, Southwest Airlines and Air Canada are the major carriers out of the Terminal 4 at Sky Harbor, which is one of the nation's 10 busiest airports with more than 1,200 planes and 100,000 passengers arriving and departing daily.

Flights out of Terminals 2 and 3 operated normally during the police search, which began after a shooting at a Tempe gasoline station around 2:45 p.m. Thursday.

Tempe police said a man was shot in the upper body for an unknown reason and three suspects fled in a car. That began a high-speed chase that ended at the airport when the suspects bailed from the vehicle.

"That's scary. I don't know why people even do stuff like that," said a passenger.

"I guess it's a safety thing to keep the passengers safe," said another traveler. "Nobody knows what kind of crazy guy is in there. He may just start shooting at random. So I guess their doing the right thing. It's just an inconvenience though. A lot of people are upset about it but what can you do."

Police arrested a man and woman and believed the third suspect - a bare-chested man with dreadlocks and a red shirt - ran into Terminal 4's parking garage.

It was unclear if the suspect was armed and police placed the terminal on lockdown, blocking the entrance and all ground traffic so a thorough search could be conducted.

Authorities didn't immediately release any information on the three arrested suspects. Tempe police said the wounded man, whose name wasn't disclosed, was hospitalized in serious condition.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


TEMPE, Ariz. – Police are searching Sky Harbor International Airport for a suspect involved in a shooting in Tempe Thursday afternoon.

Two other suspects are in police custody.

Lt. Mike Pooley with the Tempe Police Department said there was a shooting at a gas station at Price and Broadway roads around 2:45 p.m. The suspects fled in a vehicle.

The victim went to a nearby apartment complex and was transported to a local hospital. Police do not have an update on his condition.

Police officers pursued the suspects but terminated the pursuit for public safety reasons due to the vehicle's high rate of speed, according to police spokeswoman Molly Enright.

The suspects bailed out of their vehicle at Sky Harbor. Two of the suspects, Rosetta Salazar and Louis Clark were located and taken into custody by police shortly after arriving at the airport.

Phoenix police are assisting in the search for the outstanding suspect described as a black male, 25 to 35 years old with a thin build and dreadlocks, wearing pants and a red shirt. He has possibly removed the shirt.

Pooley said the outstanding suspect may be armed.

Police do not know what led up to the shooting at the gas station. Detectives are investigating.

Terminal 4 is on lockdown and vehicles are not being allowed to pull into the Terminal 4 parking garage.

Flights that were in the process of boarding at Terminal 4 when the incident began are now taking off, however, no additional flights are taking off or landing at Terminal 4, according to spokeswoman Julie Rodriguez.

She said all passengers pre-security in Terminal 4 are being asked to leave the terminal and are being bused to the PHX Sky Train Station at Washington and 44th streets. Passengers are being asked to refrain from going to the airport if their flight is out of Terminal 4.3

Flights continue to arrive and depart at Terminals 2 and 3.