HOTLINE: Sunday, Sept. 14Posted: Updated:
North Pole Experience
Christmas is closer than you think and Santa and his elves are already hard at work. You can visit Santa’s Authentic Workshop at the North Pole, where all the magic happens! Tour the entire workshop, build toys with the elves, visit the toy factory and enjoy special one-on-one time with Santa!
Tickets for this year North Pole Experience in Flagstaff are going fast, so don’t wait.
Fastasy Football Starters
It's week two of fantasy football. Jeff Coruccini and Russ Bliss will update you on who is in and who is out, and who were the stand-out players and who were duds. Plus, they will update our Arizona Cardinals Fantasy Play.
For all your fantasy football information and who you should pick, check out www.fantasyfootballstarters.com.
P.O. Box 25732
Scottsdale, AZ 85255
To email questions to Chef Dad, email email@example.com
For more of Chef Dad's recipes, go to www.chefdad.com
For more information on Dad's Catering, go to www.dadscatering.com
Chef Dad's Goat Cheese Guacamole
5 large avocados (or eight small/medium size)
5 oz. goat cheese (plain, not flavored with herbs of any kind)
10 slices of bacon (cooked, chopped)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Juice of one lime
2 Tomatoes (diced)
1/4 cup scallions a.k.a. green onion (green part only, diced)
Corn tortilla chips or homemade flour tortilla chips - optional (recipe seen below)
1) Remove core from tomatoes and slice into small pieces. Put in a bowl with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and set on counter until later. Cook and chop your bacon then set aside.
2) Slice avocados in half then remove seed. Use the scoring method with a sharp knife to cut small cubes inside shell. Spoon meat from four of the avocados into a large bowl and the other one into a food processor. If using the small-medium avocados, put six in the bowl and two in the food processor. Squeeze lime juice from 1/2 of your lime over the cubed pieces in the bowl. Squeeze the other 1/2 over the avocado in the food processor.
3) In the food processor, add the goat cheese, mayonnaise, scallions and a few heavy pinches of salt and pepper. Pulse several times until smooth.
4) Drain excess water from tomatoes then add to the large bowl with the avocados. Now fold in the avocado mix from the food processor along with the cooked bacon bits. Taste for seasoning adjustment, if any. You can serve right away or cover and chill for later that day.
Cook's Note: When working with avocados, remember to serve them that day, before they turn color on you.
Homemade flour tortilla chips:
1) Buy your favorite flour tortillas from the supermarket and cut into chip-sized pieces (about 1-by-3 inches).
2) Take 2 tablespoons of table salt plus 1 teaspoon of cumin and combine in a small bowl. Set aside.
3) Heat corn oil to 370 degrees and fry the tortillas (6-8 at a time) turning often then remove them from oil once they look light golden brown, about 30-40 seconds. Be sure to do these in several batches so they don't stick together. Immediately after you remove them from the oil, sprinkle a small amount of the seasoning you made over the top. You can store these in a plastic zipper bag ONLY after they have completely cooled to room temperature.
National Yoga Month
September is National Yoga Month, and with over 15 million Americans practicing Yoga and spending more than $27 billion annually on Yoga products, this is anything but a passing fad. Tiffany Richards with the Back Rub Company is here to tell us about the life-improving benefits of Yoga
The Back Rub Company
bRUNch Running is the perfect way to start off your week. Each week they meet at a different Phoenix area restaurant. Go for a 5K or 10K run then eat brunch. Tickets are $25 and include run, entrée, two drinks (alcoholic and nonalcoholic), tax and gratuity. A dollar from each ticket sold benefits the Boys & Girls Club of Metro Phoenix. Get your tickets at www.brunchrunning.com. #bRUNchPHX
bRUNch will be making stops at the following restaurants:
Sept. 21 - ChopShop Tempe
Sept. 28 - House Brassiere
Oct. 5 - OHSO Distillery
Oct. 12 - SanTan Brewing Company
bRUNch Running is open to runners and walkers of all levels. Event tickets can be purchased online at brunchrunning.com. Tickets are $25 when purchased in advance and $30 at the door.
Dr. Art Mollen
Dr. Mollen's Practice is located at 16100 N. 71st St. in Scottsdale. For more information, call 480-656-0016 or log onto www.drartmollen.com.
If you'd like to add Sunday's Sweetheart or any other pet to your family, contact the Arizona Humane Society at 602-997-7585. For more information about AHS events and programs, visit www.azhumane.org.
Wally's Weekly Car Review
For more on Wally Cahill, visit his website at www.azmotorsportsmania.tv, Facebook page at Wally's Weekly Car Reviews, or Twitter at @CahillWally.
We get a rundown on the Valley's hottest jobs from Ryan Naylor at www.localwork.com.
Hot Company: Whole Foods Market
Prepared Foods Division
Hot Industry: Healthcare
Companies in Healthcare hiring:
Matrix Medical Network
Jewish Family & Children's Services
Company: Early Warning
Bachelor's degree in related field
3+ years of general IT experience
IT security experience
Before you accept a new job, four things you should do:
1- Meet the people
2- Use Linkedin - connect with potential coworkers.
3- Assess the company's financial condition
4- Get a written job offer
LocalWork.com Job Fair
When: Monday, Sept. 15
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Where: Phoenix Airport Marriott
Job fair boot camp prior from 9 to 10 a.m. - Get the tools and tips you need
- Professional resume writers
- Professional photographers (free profile pictures)
- Linkedin coaching (learn to navigate social job hunting)
- Hear from recruiters before the job fair even begins about what they are looking for
Hispanic Heritage Month
Tomorrow is the start of Hispanic Heritage Month
Which runs from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15
Primavera Folklorico Dance Company has several events showcasing traditional dancing