Dogs alert sleeping residents to house fire

Posted: Updated:
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver

PRESCOTT, Ariz. -- Three people escaped a burning home in Prescott Saturday morning after they were alerted to the fire by their two dogs.

The Prescott Fire Department received multiple 911 calls from neighbors who saw thick, black smoke coming from Mark Avenue.

Crews responded around 10:45 a.m. and found 50 percent of the two-story home engulfed in flames, according to firefighter Jeff Jones.

Two of the three occupants were sleeping when the fire broke out.

Jones said the damage to the 2,000-square-foot house is estimated at $200,000.

Prescott police and the Central Yavapai Fire District also responded.