SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Scottsdale police have released a 911 call from a man reporting that two workers were trapped inside a sewer at The Promenade Monday afternoon
"Two people are unconscious," the man told the 911 operator. "We need to go in there and get these guys out."
Three employees with Camp Industries, a private sewage maintenance company, were doing some work on the sewage pumps, which were approximately 15 feet below the surface, when they got trapped.
"They're down in the lift station," the man reported. "I've got one guy in there trying to get them out so I need to get the paramedics and maybe the fire department out here."
When rescuers arrived, one of the three workers was climbing out of the sewer. He was described as being very lethargic. The 18-year-old Phoenix man was transported to a local hospital and has since been released.
Inside the hole, the hydrogen sulfide, or sewer gas, measured at lethal levels.
Crews recovered the two bodies and turned them over to the Medical Examiner's Office to determine official cause of death.
The victims were identified as Jarrod Camp, 41, and Jeremy Johnson, 36, both of Phoenix.
Businesses in the immediate area were evacuated due to the fumes for the duration of the investigation.