PHOENIX – A puppy that almost died after accidentally ingesting rat poison has fully recovered and will be available for adoption on Thursday.
Arizona Humane Society emergency animal medical technicians rescued the brindle Labrador mix a month ago. The puppy was taken to the organization's Second Chance Animal Hospital.
AHS spokeswoman Bretta Nelson said the dog had been bleeding profusely for hours and required a blood transfusion equaling half of his blood supply.
The now 16-week-old pup has spent the last few weeks in foster care and has had regular checkups to ensure his blood levels were back to normal.
"Reeces' story is a reminder to keep harmful substances out of the reach of your pets and in secured cabinets or drawers," Nelson said.
Reeces will be available at 11 a.m. Thursday at AHS' Sunnyslope Campus, 9226 N. 13th Ave., in Phoenix. His adoption fee is $200, which includes all medical care, neuter surgery, first vaccinations and a follow-up vet exam.
If more than one person is interested in adopting Reeces, AHS will hold a drawing.