SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- One person was hurt in an apartment fire, but the good news is that the building's sprinkler system did its job.
It happened just after 10 p.m. at 90th Street and Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard, just west of the Loop 101 Pima Freeway. Firefighters arrived to find the fire mostly contained to the third-floor unit where it started.
With the head start that the sprinkler system gave them, crews easily kept the flames from spreading to other apartments.
Because of the size of the apartment complex, firefighters from both Scottsdale and Phoenix responded.
One resident suffered minor injuries and was taken to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Hospital.
"Neighbors heard the smoke alarm go off," Jay Ducote of the Scottsdale Fire Department said. "So just a reminder to always check the batteries of your smoke detectors for that first notification when there's smoke in the house."