'Athleisure' is the newest trend in fitness clothesPosted: Updated:
PHOENIX -- Never has fitness and sport apparel been so fashionable. This month's InStyle Magazine, among many other national news outlets, points out that retailers are embracing the "athleisure" trend, meaning yoga pants and sweats that go waaaaay beyond the gym.
This is one of many new developments in the fitness apparel industry. Lifestyle expert Valery Lodato gave 3TV's Kaley O'Kelley a look at the latest looks she loves.
1. YOGASMOGA is the new fitness line takes you from the gym, to brunch, flatters your physique (including pants that hide the muffin top), and actually says "thank you!" Fusing vibrant colors, sophisticated fabrics and figure flattering designs, YOGASMOGA is made from an exclusive fabric - a blend of Supplex® and Lycra® -- that's super soft, breathable and embedded with moisture-wicking and antimicrobial treatments so moisture and bacteria won't haunt you.
Shopping bonus: YOGASMOGA pays you for shopping with them. Buy something at www.YOGASMOGA.com and receive SMOGI Bucks every time you shop YOGASMOGA. The exchange rate is simple: one SMOGI Buck equals one real buck, for future purchases.
YOGASMOGA has also created the Namaskár Foundation. Beautiful hand-woven bracelets made on hand looms in remote villages of the Himalayas are sold for $10 and net proceeds are donated to the Namaskár Foundation, which focus on health, education and microlending in the developing world.
2. Another fitness find that gives back, Simbi Haiti hair bracelets ($15 for 6). Perfect for the girl who needs to put her hair in a quick pony, these versatile beauty accessories with Haitian art motifs double as bracelets. Best of all: a portion of all the proceeds goes toward providing clean water to communities in Haiti. One 12-pack provides one gallon of clean water to someone in need. Simbi Haiti is carried in Target, most Nordstroms and online at www.simbihaiti.com.
3. Here in the Valley heat, it can be tough to go from a hike outside to air-conditioned stores and appointments, so LOLLY Clothing sells airy tops that are wildly popular for post-workout. You can simply throw on one of these tops and go about your day looking put together. LOLLY is made in the USA, and available online www.LOLLYclothing.com.
4. Dragonwing girlgear is the latest addition to the tween/teen sports apparel world, and its goal is to empower girls to play their best, without worrying about their changing figure or body image. Dragonwing girlgear's age-appropriate sportswear includes bras, camis, compression shorts and accessories, all designed specifically to fit a girl's figure and meet the technical demand of her sport. Dragonwing fabrics provide UV 50 protection, the perfect find for Valley girls.
5. Taking care of yourself has a whole new look thanks to a fashionable fitness tape designed to enhance performance and recovery. Rocktape is a special kind of kinesiology tape, which works by creating a bio-mechanical lifting mechanism, allowing more blood to move into an injured area to accelerate healing and recovery. It's good for knee problems, rotator cuff, hamstring pulls, lower back issues, shin splints, tennis and golf elbow -- you name it.