Your Life A to Z Recipe: Wednesday, August 6th, 2014: Savory Deviled EggsPosted: Updated:
Yield: 12 halves
6 each Eggs, hard-cooked, peeled and cut lengthwise
¼ cup Mayonnaise
½ tsp. Dry ground mustard
½ tsp. White vinegar
To taste Kosher and freshly ground black pepper
1 recipe Red Onion Marmalade (recipe follows)
1 slice Bacon, cooked and cut into ½ inch pieces
1 each Plum tomato, cut in quarters and oven dried (tossed in red wine vinaigrette and dried in an oven at 250 degrees for 2 hours)
6 leafs Italian flat leaf parsley
1 ounce Smoked salmon
18 each Capers
6 sprigs Dill
1. Remove egg yolks and pass through a sieve. Add mayonnaise, mustard powder, vinegar, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
2. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and pipe yolk mixture back into the whites.
3. On half the eggs: spoon ½ tsp of the onion mixture on top of the yolks, followed by a couple pieces of bacon, a piece of the tomato and a leaf of parsley.
4. On the other half of the eggs: place a piece of salmon on top of the yolk, followed by a few capers and a sprig of dill.
Red Onion Marmalade
1/2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
½ each Red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
To taste Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 Tbsp Honey
2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
1. Heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the oil followed by the onions, season with salt and pepper and cook gently until onions are nice and soft.
2. Add the honey and cook for 5 minutes or so. Add the vinegar and cook until reduced and syrupy. Cool and keep refrigerated. If mixture is really rough you may want to coarsely chop so it will stack on the egg a little neater.