Chef Dads green chili and chicken cheese crispsPosted: Updated:
Chef Dad’s green chili and chicken cheese crisps
-8- to 12-inch flour tortillas
-1 lb. cheddar jack cheese (shredded)
-8 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast
-8 oz. diced green chilies (or hatch chilies)
-1/4 cup bottled taco sauce
-Salt and pepper
-Vegetable or corn oil for frying
-Baking pan lined with foil
-Matching baking rack
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2) Drain green chilies from the can then set aside. Shred your cheese and set aside.
3) Cut your raw chicken breast into small cubes (no bigger than 1 inch) then put in a bowl. Drizzle with 1 tbsp. of olive oil plus 1/2 tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp. of black pepper. Toss well to coat. Heat a medium-sized nonstick frying pan over medium high heat. When hot, add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently. When the chicken is cooked all the way through, drain and put meat on your cutting board. Give it a rough chop then put in a clean bowl. Add the taco sauce and mix together. Set aside.
4) Put about 1 inch of oil in your large frying pan and heat to about 360 degrees. Make sure the pan is large enough that your entire tortilla will be submerged in the oil. Do NOT fill the frying pan more than 1/3 of the way up the side of the pan. When the oil reaches 360 degrees, reduce the heat to medium low and start cooking the tortillas, one at a time. Slide the tortilla in and let it cook for about 15 seconds then flip it over using a pair of metal tongs. Cook on its flip side another 15 seconds or so until you see it’s a light golden brown. Remove and place on the baking rack.
5) Assemble your cheese crisps by first putting on the chicken and chili then finally the cheese. Put in the oven for about 10 minutes to melt the cheese. Use a long knife or pizza cutter to make pie shape pieces then serve.
Cook’s notes: This amount of chicken and cheese should be enough to make four cheese crisps. Each crisp should feed one to two people. While one pound of cheese should be plenty for four 8-inch tortillas, you will need more for four 12-inch ones.