Fan in bathroom sparked fire at vacant house in Phoenix

Posted: Updated:
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland

PHOENIX -- The mystery behind an early morning Phoenix house fire, where no one was home at the time, is solved.

The house caught fire after 6 a.m. Friday at 22nd Street and Greenway Road.

Firefighters say no one currently lives in the home. It is up for sale.

Investigators say a real-estate professional has been showing the home to potential buyers and it appears an exhaust fan in the ceiling was left on inside a bathroom during one of the recent visits.

With the fan constantly running, it caused a vent in the bathroom to overheat and spark.

Flames spread through the attic, causing significant damage to the roof.

Damage to the inside of the house is minimal.