SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- A woman and her dog are being treated for smoke inhalation after an early morning fire that was possibly sparked by a dropped cigarette inside a Scottsdale apartment.
It happened just after 3 a.m. Friday at the Scottsdale Mission Apartments at 93nd Street and Shea Boulevard.
Although firefighters contained the flames and damage to a single unit, residents of surrounding apartments were temporarily evacuated as a precaution.
The resident of the unit was taken to a local hospital. Her dog was taken to an emergency veterinary clinic. Both suffered smoke inhalation.
Investigators have not determined what sparked the fire, but early indications are that a smoldering cigarette that had been dropped might be to blame.
No other injuries were reported.
One person and a dog being treated for smoke inhalation after apartment fire at Scottsdale Mission. Cigarette may be to blame...— Jill Galus (@JillGalus) July 11, 2014
One person and a dog being treated for smoke inhalation after apartment fire at Scottsdale Mission. Cigarette may be to blame...