New allegations against kennel where 20 dogs died

Posted: Updated:
By Tami Hoey By Tami Hoey

PHOENIX -- New allegations are coming out against the dog boarding business where 20 dogs died last week.

Valley resident Gabby Ugartte told 3TV that in the weeks before the dog tragedy struck, her mother took the family dog to Green Acre to be boarded while they vacationed in Hawaii. But Shadow the dog looked much different from how he did when dropped off.

“My mom went to pick him up and that's when she saw his leg was swollen…two to three times [the size] his leg is actually supposed to be,” said Ugartte.

In addition to the cut and swollen paw, Shadow was covered in paint and had fur missing all over his body.  Shadow's family rushed him to the vet.

“The vet said someone had either been tearing at his fur or it could have possibly been some chemical burns if they were trying to get the paint off of him. He also had a temperature of 106 degrees,” said Ugartte. 

According to the American Kennel Club, normal body temperature for a dog ranges between 100 and 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit.

Ugartte’s family was furious and asked Green Acre for a refund.

“They said, ‘no, we feel like we earned that boarding,”’ said Ugartte.

Shadow's family went to Yelp to post their bad experience.

Green Acre didn't return a calls from 3TV asking about Shadow. 

Green Acre owner, MaLeisa Hughes, did respond to the Yelp post admitting that Shadow got into some paint. However, Hughes said in her post that Shadow’s family tried to 'extort' them after being told the boarding fee would not be refunded.  Her post also accused Shadow of attacking his Green Acre caretakers daily -- news to Shadow's family.

“Our dog has never been a vicious dog. My little sister has Down syndrome and he's been great to her his entire life.  So it was just shocking to hear [accusations of vicious behavior],” said Ugartte.

Ugartte said her family now just wants people to know the full story of what's been going on at Green Acre.

“What happened over the past couple days isn't just a one time negligence type thing.  It's happened before,” said Ugartte.

Ugartte said her family is considering legal action against Green Acre.