Two dogs rescued from house fire in Scottsdale

Posted: Updated:
By Jayson Chesler By Jayson Chesler
By Jayson Chesler By Jayson Chesler

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Members of the Scottsdale fire department were able to rescue two dogs from a house fire that occurred when the house resident wasn't home.

Fire units responded to a reported house fire near the intersection of Pima Road and McDonald Drive to find smoke coming from the eaves and front door of the house. A neighbor said that the homeowner wasn't home and that there were two large dogs inside the house.

The fire crews that arrived first did a search of the house and found both dogs inside the home. Neither dog was breathing. The crews rescued the dogs from the home and brought them outside where firefighters and paramedics worked to save the dogs.

Fido Bags were used to breathe for the dogs after they were removed from the home. Fido Bags are a Glendale firefighter's invention: dog-sized oxygen masks and other canine-friendly crisis gear packaged together and carried in firetrucks.

Both dogs were taken to a nearby veterinarian. One dog is currently awake and breathing on her own, while the other is still being assisted by the vet.