$881K of drugs confiscated at border this weekend

Posted: Updated:
By Jayson Chesler By Jayson Chesler
By Jayson Chesler By Jayson Chesler
By Jayson Chesler By Jayson Chesler
By Jayson Chesler By Jayson Chesler

DOUGLAS, Ariz. -- Several drug busts occur ed at the border this weekend, with separate arrests happening in Douglas, Nogales and San Luis. In total, more than 750 pounds of marijuana, cocaine and heroin were confiscated according to a news release from Customs and Border Protection.

On Friday, a 21-year-old was arrested for attempting to smuggle 388 pounds of marijuana through the Port of Douglas in 176 separate packages. The marijuana's estimated value is nearly $194,000.

Also on Friday, a 24-year-old was caught with nearly 19 pounds of cocaine at the San Luis Port of Entry. A narcotics dog alerted officers to the presence of drugs in a sedan and, when they searched the vehicle, the officers found eight packages of cocaine worth nearly $197,000 in total in the rear bumper.

In Nogales, four individuals were arrested in separate incidents over the weekend.

On Saturday morning, officers at the Port of Nogales' Dennis DeConcini crossing found 54 pounds of marijuana worth nearly $27,000 in a sedan.

Later that day, a narcotics dog at the Mariposa crossing alerted officers to the presence of drugs within a shipment of patio tiles. Officers arrested the 50-year-old driving the shipment after they found more than 294 pounds of marijuana valued at nearly $147,000.

Also on Saturday, a narcotics dog alerted officers to drugs in a truck's brakes at the DeConcini crossing. The officers discovered eight packages of cocaine within the vehicle's brake drums. In total, the cocaine weighed more than 21 pounds and is worth approximately $223,000.

Finally, on Sunday, officers at the DeConcini crossing located five packages of heroin among the luggage in the back of an SUV. The packages weighed nearly seven pounds and are worth an estimated $94,000.

In all instances, the drugs and vehicles involved were seized. All suspects were turned over to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Homeland Security Investigations.