Your Life A to Z Recipe: Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014: Baked Peach Hand PiesPosted: Updated:
Baked Peach Hand Pies
1 cup sugar
4 cups fresh (or frozen and thawed) peach slices, peeled
4 whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup cornstarch
8- 6" round pie crust (either homemade or cutout from frozen pie crust that's been rolled 1/2"thick)
Vanilla bean ice cream, for serving
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, combine the sugar, peach slices, cloves, and nutmeg. Mix until blended. Bring mixture to a boil; turn down heat and allow mixture to simmer until the peaches are softened, 20 to 25 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the peaches from the saucepan and place in a small bowl. Reserve 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the peach liquid in the saucepan and discard the rest. Return the peaches to the saucepan.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and the cornstarch.Whisk cornstarch mixture into the peach mixture, stirring until combined. Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly to keep from sticking; mixture will be very thick. Transfer peach mixture to a clean bowl and chill for 1 hour, or until completely chilled.
Make the hand pies:
- Place 1/4 cup of the chilled peach filling into the center of each dough round. Fold the dough over, making a half-moon shaped pastry, trim any excess dough leaving a 1/2-inch edge around the filling, and crimp the edges together with a fork. Chill pies for 30 minutes.
- Cut a small slit on top of hand pie to vent and brush with egg wash.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven 20-25 minutes or till golden and crust is set.
- Serve warm with ice cream.
Peaches and Cream Tarts:
6- 6" round crust. Either homemade or store bought crust that has been rolled out to 1/4" and cut into circles.
4 large ripe peaches pitted and sliced into 6-8 wedges
1 1/2 cups Whipped Vanilla Cream Cheese
1/4 cup peach preserves
1 T water
Working quickly lay out crust and drop 2 T cream cheese filling in the center of each crust circle spreading filling evenly leaving a 1 inch border. Arrange 4-5 slices of peaches and fold crust over pinching and crimping to create a crust border incasing the filling. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Chill in fridge for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake tarts for 15-20 minutes or until crust is set and golden brown. Remove from oven and brush tarts liberally with peach glaze.
For the Glaze - microwave peach preserves in small bowl with up to 1 T water to thin out preserves.
Vanilla Cream Cheese
8 oz softened cream cheese
1/4 cup confectioners sugar plus 2 T
2 t pure vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
Using a stand mixer or hand held mixer whip the cream cheese with 1/4 cup sugar and 1 t vanilla.
Separately whip the heavy cream with reaming sugar and vanilla till set.
Combine the cream cheese mixture with the whipped cream.