Tips for Successful Flowers in the heat of the SummerPosted: Updated:
Tips for Successful Flowers in the heat of the Summer
We get many questions about the care of flowers, and how to make them last a longer time. And in our Phoenix heat, that is a really good question! When people pick up flowers, I tell them to treat them like you have a baby in the car, and be careful going around corners, not to drive too recklessly so that the flowers stay nice and tight in their vase and box.
The same advice applies in the summer time with flowers - baby them a little bit!:
- In the summer, would you leave your baby alone in the car? No! So don't leave your flowers in the car either.
- If you and a baby would be comfortable with the temperature, so will the flowers. Keep your AC turned on at home or in the car. Take them inside when you go inside.
- In the summer, do you like to give your baby a cold drink? Sure! Flowers love a cool drink too!
- Use cold water, and for an outside event, you can even add some ice cubes to the water when you put them out on the tables. When you are having flowers delivered by a florist, you can ask them to deliver them shortly before the guests arrive so that the flowers stay in their flower cooler at a sweet 40 degrees just until show time.
- How many cars and strollers have shade canopies for babies now? Yep, you guessed it. Flowers love the shade too!
- For outdoor events, use shade as much as possible, and with the flowers having plenty of water because you're following the tip above, they will do fabulous! Varieties of flowers that do better in the heat.