Car spontaneously combusts inside Phoenix garagePosted: Updated:
PHOENIX -- Phoenix firefighters say a car spontaneously combusted while parked inside a Phoenix garage and caused the house to catch fire Tuesday.
"I worked really, really hard to get this, for it all to go up in flames, literally," Joe Abramo said.
Abramo just got a 2001 X5 BMW in February. It was his very first BMW.
He had just moved into his house on 12th Street and Echo Lane less than a year ago.
"My son heard a loud explosion from inside the house. He went out to the garage to investigate, and smoke and flames came billowing in through the garage entry door," Abramo said.
The flames from the car spread through the home, and firefighters were called.
"What we came back with, this fire spontaneously happened. It combusted, and that homeowner can confirm that because they heard a large popping sound, possible explosion that happened in the garage area," said Phoenix Fire Capt. Jonathan Jacobs.
The car hadn't been driven in two hours and has had no issues since Abramo got it.
Everyone got out of the burning home OK, and now the family of four is staying in a hotel room while insurance companies do their thing.
We contacted BMW about the incident. They responded with an email saying they wanted to talk to their accident investigation team before making a comment.
Abramo wants something done before someone else's memories and dreams go up in flames.
"I don't care about the car. I care about my pictures in the house and, you know, the stuff we've had for 20 years," Abramo said.
Phoenix firefighters recommend unplugging phone chargers from your car and parking it in the street if it is acting up until you can get it fixed.