Fire at Phoenix apartment complex started by boxes on stove

Posted: Updated:
A fire broke out at an apartment complex near Bell Road and 11th Avenue in Phoenix. By Jennifer Thomas A fire broke out at an apartment complex near Bell Road and 11th Avenue in Phoenix. By Jennifer Thomas
A fire broke out at an apartment complex near Bell Road and 11th Avenue in Phoenix. By Jennifer Thomas A fire broke out at an apartment complex near Bell Road and 11th Avenue in Phoenix. By Jennifer Thomas
A fire broke out at an apartment complex near Bell Road and 11th Avenue in Phoenix. By Jennifer Thomas A fire broke out at an apartment complex near Bell Road and 11th Avenue in Phoenix. By Jennifer Thomas
A fire broke out at an apartment complex near Bell Road and 11th Avenue in Phoenix. By Jennifer Thomas A fire broke out at an apartment complex near Bell Road and 11th Avenue in Phoenix. By Jennifer Thomas
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas

PHOENIX -- A fire at a north Phoenix apartment complex Thursday morning appears to have started with some boxes on a stove.

Phoenix and Glendale firefighters responded to a fire at a large two-story apartment complex near 11th Avenue and Bell Road at around 11 a.m. and found flames coming from the second floor.

Crews isolated the fire to two apartments and prevented the flames from spreading to adjoining units.

Preliminary investigation indicates the fire was accidental.

Phoenix fire Capt. Ruben Saavedra said a new resident was moving into the apartment where the fire started and had placed some boxes on the stove. The utilites were turned on Thursday and the fire appears to have started on the stove with the boxes.

Five people were displaced. Saavedra said the Phoenix Fire Crisis Response Unit and Red Cross are assisting those residents with shelter and food.

No residents or firefighters were injured.