TEMPE, Ariz. -- A 19-year-old accused of having an improvised explosive device in his bedroom at his family's Tempe home has pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct.
Joshua Prater had previously been charged with misconduct involving weapons, but he pleaded guilty to the reduced charge Wednesday morning.
Tempe police said a cleaning woman found the device inside the home near McClintock Drive and Baseline Road in May 2013. She took it to a fire station to have it checked.
Firefighters notified police and the bomb squad disabled the device.
Police said they found six small white canisters, jars, tape, gun powder and a CO2 cylinder during a search of the home.
Prater told police that he made the device about eight years ago. According to court documents, Prater said he didn't know the device was filled with explosive powder, along with match heads and fireworks.
Prater was a senior at Marcos de Niza High School at the time of his arrest.