FD: Phoenix apartment fire possibly caused by bags on stovetop

Posted: Updated:
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver

PHOENIX -- A fire that damaged an apartment Friday evening might have started with grocery bags placed on a stovetop, according to the Phoenix Fire Department.

Phoenix Fire Capt. Ruben Saavedra said when firefighters arrived at the complex near 61st Avenue and Thomas Road around 6:30 p.m., they did not immediately notice any signs of fire or smoke.

After further investigation, crews found a fire inside a unit on the top floor of the two-story complex.

The fire was quickly extinguished and did not spread to any other units, Saavedra said.

No injuries were reported.

Saavedra said the fire is still being investigated but that preliminary reports indicate the occupant returned home from grocery shopping and set the bags on the stovetop, which was accidentally turned on.

Saavedra said most residential fires in Phoenix start in the kitchen, with more than 300 every year.