Your Life A to Z Recipe: Friday, April 18th, 2014: Summer Minestrone & Mexican Chopped Salad with Honey-Lime VinaigrettePosted: Updated:
Your Life A to Z Recipe: Friday, April 18th, 2014
By: Chef Maggie Norris
Adapted from Bon Appetit
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
6 cups low-salt chicken broth
1 large Yukon gold potato, large dice
1/2 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 small zucchini, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), drained
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add broth and next 5 ingredients.
- Increase heat to high and bring soup to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover pot, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach; simmer 3 minutes longer.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into 6 bowls.
Mexican Chopped Salad with Honey-Lime Vinaigrette
5 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 can (15.5 oz) black beans, rinsed and well drained
1 ½ cup chopped seeded tomato
1 ½ cup chopped peeled jicama
1 ½ cup fresh corn kernels, uncooked (or frozen or canned)
1 ½ cup thinly sliced radishes
1 ripe avocado, diced
2 red bell pepper, chopped
½ cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
½ cup fresh lime juice
½ cup olive oil
4 tbsp honey
4 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 garlic clove, peeled and minced
2 tsp chopped jalapeño pepper (use canned for less heat)
- Toss all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- In separate bowl, mix dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over mixture and toss again.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.