House fire injures man in wheelchair, kills dog

Posted: Updated:
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland

PHOENIX -- Firefighters believed a knocked-over candle started a fire that put a man in the hospital and killed a dog early Friday morning.

It happened at a home in the area of 13th Avenue and Sherman Street, which is north of Buckeye Road. Crews said it started in a makeshift shed behind the house. The room did not have any electricity.

Firefighters said there was quite a bit of stuff in the house to fuel the fire.

Four people, one of them in a wheelchair, were home when the fire started. A woman rescued the man in the wheelchair, pulling him from the burning home. He was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

A second man reportedly fled the scene right after the fire started.

No other injuries were reported.