Truck lands on top of car after fleeing Phoenix police

Posted: Updated:
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas

PHOENIX -- A man had to be extricated from his vehicle after a truck landed on top of it following a pursuit in Phoenix Saturday night.

At approximately 8:15 p.m., Phoenix police were called to a QuikTrip near 27th Avenue and Thomas Road regarding a man in a black pickup truck who had pointed a gun at a woman.

The truck was gone when officers arrived, but it was soon spotted in a parking lot a few blocks away.

When officers approached the vehicle, the driver pointed a gun at one of them, according to Phoenix police spokesman Officer James Holmes.

The officer went back to his vehicle and the truck took off with police vehicles in pursuit.

The police helicopter tracked the truck and the ground units backed off, according to Holmes.

Holmes said the truck was traveling at a high rate of speed when the driver began to change lanes near Third Avenue and Thomas Road. The truck was going in the same direction as a small Audi convertible and drove up on top of the car when the tires became lodged in the rear area of the vehicle.

"When he changed lanes, with the height of his vehicle and the height of the victim's vehicle, the tire of the pickup truck went into the back of that Audi," Holmes said.

The momentum carried the two vehicles across Third Avenue, into the westbound lanes and over a curb where the truck landed upside down on top of the car.

"Fortunately, it's the bed of the truck that actually lands over the operator of that Audi," Holmes said.

Officers got the driver out of the truck and took him into custody.

Holmes said officers found a handgun on the seat.

Extrication crews were called to the scene to get the 61-year-old driver out of the Audi.

Both drivers were transported to a local hospital, but their injuries were not life-threatening.   

The suspect's name has not been released.

The incident is still under investigation.