Pregnant woman critical after car T-bones charter bus in Phoenix

Posted: Updated:
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas

PHOENIX -- A pregnant woman is in critical condition after the car she was in hit a charter bus on Sunday.

Investigators said the driver of a Suzuki Forenza that was southbound on the Interstate 17 access road failed to stop for a red signal light at McDowell Road. The vehicle crashed into the side of a charter bus, which was westbound on McDowell Road in the middle lane.  

The Suzuki came to rest on the island median.

"The car was going very fast and, yeah, you heard it, it was definitely a good clip," said Scott Bradley, who saw the crash.

A 26-year-old pregnant woman in the car was found unconscious when Bradley ran over to help.

"The woman inside had some pretty traumatic injuries, so we did what we could with some pressure bandages and then the police and fire trucks arrived and they took her away," he said.

Police said the woman was not restrained and sustained critical injuries. She was transported to a nearby hospital where she underwent an emergency C-section to deliver her 28-week-old fetus.

Phoenix police Officer James Holmes said the baby is listed in stable condition, but it is unknown if the woman will survive.

There were two children, ages 1 and 3, in the back seat of the vehicle. Holmes said the 1-year-old was not restrained and the 3- year-old was in a booster seat. Both children sustained minor injuries and were transported for precautionary reasons.

The 36-year-old male driver of the car was not injured. Holmes said he was wearing a seat belt and his airbag deployed.

Investigators said the driver showed no signs of impairment.

"There were indications the driver may have been distracted at the time of the collision, but the incident is still under investigation," Holmes said in an email to 3TV.

There were 40 passengers on the bus, but no one was injured.

The bus is from a company that routinely carries passengers from Nogales to Los Angeles.