Man dies after officer-involved shooting

Posted: Updated:
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver
Jonathan Parker By Tami Hoey Jonathan Parker By Tami Hoey
Jonathan Parker By Mike Gertzman Jonathan Parker By Mike Gertzman
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver

PHOENIX -- A man is dead after he was shot by a Phoenix police officer Friday night.

At approximately 7:00 p.m. Friday, two Phoenix Police Officers were working off-duty as uniformed security in an apartment complex.  At that time, they contacted two men in the complex who appeared suspicious. While attempting to identify the two men, one of those men, later identified as 32-year-old  Jefferson Duncan, reportedly tried to run off. One of the officers chased him, while the other officer waited with the second suspect.
The officer was able to catch Duncan, but Duncan allegedly began to fight with the officer, actively resisting being taken into custody.  During the fight, there was a pause and Duncan began to submit, saying he had, had enough.

The officer pulled Duncan from the bushes where they were fighting, to try to handcuff him.  However, unbeknownst to the officer, Duncan was able to get the officer’s electronic control device (Taser) and he “tased” the officer.

The officer received the full cycle of the device, which incapacitated him.  When he recovered, he found the Taser aimed at his head and Duncan was threatening to use it again, if the officer did not free him.  The officer was able to draw his service weapon and fire numerous rounds before Duncan could use the Taser again.  Duncan was struck by the gunfire, which ended the violent confrontation.
Duncan was transported to a local hospital, where he died.  The officer involved in the fight was also transported to a local hospital to receive treatment and evaluation for the injuries he received.
According to police, the second suspect, later identified as 40-year-old Jonathan Parker, also tried to run away.  He was chased by the second officer, and after a brief struggle, was taken into custody.

It was later learned that Parker had an outstanding misdemeanor warrant for his arrest.  He complained of chest pains after being taken into custody and was taken to a local hospital for evaluation, but was later released.  He is currently being booked into the Maricopa County Jail, charged with the warrant.
As in all officer involved shootings, this case is being investigated both criminally and internally. The officer involved will be placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure following officer involved shootings.