PD: Scottsdale man hits mom with glass carafe during money dispute

Posted: Updated:
Michael B. Debusman By Jennifer Thomas Michael B. Debusman By Jennifer Thomas

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz -- A 24-year-old Scottsdale man is accused of assaulting his mother because she wouldn't give him money then knocking a man unconscious and stealing his wallet.

Michael B. Debusman faces aggravated assault and armed robbery charges.

Police said Debusman confronted his mother in her kitchen Thursday night and demanded money. When she refused, he allegedly hit her in the head with a glass blender carafe.

A man who lives in a separate residence on the property near McDowell Road and 82nd Street came in the front door and Debusman hit him in the head numerous times with a collapsible metal baton, according to police. The man fell unconscious and Debusman took his wallet then fled in his mother's SUV.

Police said Debusman made threats against his grandmother during the assault. He lives part time with his mother and part time with his grandmother near Camelback Road and 68th Street.

Officers went to the grandmother's home to check on her welfare. Debusman wasn't there and an officer stayed with her as protection.

At about 4 a.m., a patrol officer located the stolen vehicle on Camelback Road and attempted to stop it, but Debusman drove the SUV to his grandmother's apartment complex.

Debusman knocked on her door and was confronted by the officer inside. Debusman fled into a friend's apartment next door.

When officers contacted the female occupant, Debusman jumped from the second-floor balcony onto the roof then jumped onto the balcony of an unoccupied apartment. Officers entered that apartment and Debusman jumped from the second-floor balcony to the ground, causing a leg injury. Police were able to take him into custody.

He was transported to a local hospital then released to police.

Police said Debusman has an extensive arrest record, including drug-related charges, theft and disorderly conduct.

The two victims were taken to a hospital for treatment of their head wounds then later released.