Neighbor saves family from fire

Posted: Updated:
By Tami Hoey By Tami Hoey

A neighbor is being credited for saving a family from flames, after a fire broke out at housing community in Chandler.

“Thank God that I have a good neighbor,” said Jonathan Gardner. “My neighbor saved our lives.”

Gardner managed to get his children, nephew and niece to safety, as flames spread from his shed to his attic.

“As I was walking, I seen smoke coming out of the back,” said neighbor Elena Maldonado who happened to be outside at the time.

“I said there’s something burning, and I ran to Jon’s bedroom,” explained Maldonado. “They were all in there. I said ‘the house is on fire!’”

Chandler firefighters quickly responded to the residence in the 700 block of Nebraska Street and knocked down the flames before they spread to nearby homes. The fire was considered “first-alarm” due to the proximity of homes and number of families in danger.

“I’m so thankful; if it wasn’t for taking a minute and being a good neighbor” said Aretha Gardner, Jonathan Gardner’s mother, as she hugged Elena Maldonado. “I’m really grateful tonight; all my babies are okay.”

While the Gardner family will be left displaced by the fire, they know the situation could have been much worse had their neighbor not taken the time to care.

“You don’t see it all the time,” said Aretha Gardner. “Thank you, it’s a blessing.”