Your Life A to Z Recipe: Thursday, April 3rd, 2014: Rhubarb Chutney & Rhubarb BucklePosted: Updated:
Yields: 1 ½ cups
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger (from one 1-inch piece)
1/3 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
1/3 cup golden raisins, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup sugar
12 ounces rhubarb, trimmed and cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and add wine and raisins. Return to heat, and bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute. Add sugar, and stir until it dissolves. Stir in half the rhubarb. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, partially covered, until rhubarb breaks down, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining rhubarb. Raise heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until second batch of rhubarb just begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Let cool completely.
Yields: 32 Squares
Vegetable-oil cooking spray, for cake pans
1 pound plus 10 ounces rhubarb, trimmed and cut 1/2 inch thick on the bias
2 cups sugar, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
For the Crumb Topping
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup light-brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- Make the cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack in center position. Coat two 9-inch square cake pans with cooking spray, and line with parchment, leaving an overhang on 2 sides. Stir together rhubarb and 1 cup sugar; set aside to macerate.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat together butter, remaining cup sugar, and the lemon zest until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then beat in vanilla. Beat in flour mixture in 2 additions, alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Make the crumb topping: Stir together flour, brown sugar, and salt. Add melted butter; stir to combine. Divide batter between pans. Top with rhubarb mixture, and sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake until golden on top and cooked through, about 1 hour 5 minutes. Let cool completely in pans on wire racks, then lift cakes from pans using parchment. Remove parchment. Before serving, cut buckle into 2-inch squares.