Chef Dad's Irish NachosPosted: Updated:
Chef Dad's Irish Nachos
-2 small or 1 large Russet (baking) potato(es)
-8 oz. cheddar or Colby Jack cheese (shredded)
-Sliced pickled jalapenos
-1/4 cup scallions, also known as green onions (green part only, diced)
-Vegetable, corn or canola oil (for frying)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Poke several holes in your potatoes then bake for one hour. Remove from oven then wrap each potato in aluminum foil. Let them cool on your counter for one hour then refrigerate potatoes for at least two hours or overnight.
3. Preheat oven again to 425 degrees.
4. Slice potatoes about 1/4 inch thick then deep fry in 375-degree oil until golden brown (about three to four minutes). Remove from oil then sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper.
5. Use a large casserole dish or iron skillet to put a single layer of the potatoes on the bottom then put a slice of the jalapeno over the middle of each potato. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Bake until cheese melts (about 10 minutes). After taking them out of the oven, sprinkle your green onions over the top. There is no need to remove them from the casserole dish when serving. Just warn your friends that the dish is hot and leave a spatula nearby to help themselves.
Cook’s Notes: Sour cream or creamy horseradish sauce are nice for dipping with this. Other toppings could include cooked chopped bacon and/or diced fresh tomato.
Shortcut: You can always buy a bag of frozen waffle fries and fry or bake some of them before adding the cheese and jalapeno.