Burglary at gun shop ends in officer-involved shooting

Posted: Updated:
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
Jay Randall Jones By Jennifer Thomas Jay Randall Jones By Jennifer Thomas
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland

PHOENIX -- One man is facing numerous charges following a burglary at a gun shop that ended in an officer-involved shooting Monday morning.

A second person has been released from custody.

The burglary happened at Legendary Guns of the West at 19th Avenue and Camelback Road in Phoenix shortly after 4 a.m.

Officers say it looks like the suspects tripped an alarm when they allegedly entered the gun store through a vacant business next door. They cut a hole large enough to crawl through a shared wall.

Officers identified themselves as one of the suspects tried to come back through the hole. That suspect then retreated back into the gun shop.

Moments later an armed suspect ran out the back door of the Legendary Guns.

"Officers heard at least one shot fired from the suspect as he ran north on 19th Drive," Phoenix police Sgt. Trent Crump said in an email to 3TV.

Investigators believe that round hit an occupied mobile home. Nobody inside was hurt.

According to Crump, the suspect ignored an officer's commands to stop and surrender.

"The suspect pointed the handgun at the officer at which time he fired his handgun at the suspect, causing the suspect to fall to the ground," Crump said. "The suspect verbally surrendered to the officer, and was taken into custody."

There were initial reports that the suspect might have been shot in the hand. Crump said that was not the case, clarifying that the suspect had "a small cut on his hand."

Officers took a second suspect into custody without incident. That person was released after police were not able to establish probable cause, according to Crump.

Police believe a third suspect, possibly a getaway driver, is still on the loose.

Crump said police recovered a handgun at the scene, but they are not sure if the suspects brought the weapon with them or if was taken from the store.

"Both suspects were in possession of numerous burglary tools including gloves, masks, and drills," he said.

Jay Randall Jones, 43, was charged with armed burglary, aggravated assault, discharging a firearm at a residence, weapon violations and theft.

No officers were injured in the course of the incident.

Founded in 1988, family-owned Legendary Gun originally specialized in antique firearms and accessories. It eventually expanded its inventory to include new guns.

The store has been the site of trouble before. It was burglarized in July 2012 and then again in October 2012. In both of those incidents, like the one Monday morning, the suspects apparently got into the store through a business next door.

The area of 19th Avenue and Camelback Road was closed while detectives conducted their on-scene investigation. That closure disrupted Light Rail service for about three hours.

Trains went as far west as the 19th Avenue and Camelback Road station. From there, buses took passengers from Camelback to the Montebello station.

The Light Rail resumed normal service just after 7:30 a.m., about the same time the southbound lanes of 19th Avenue reopened. The northbound lanes of 19th Avenue opened about 30 minutes later.