1 Person dead following fight in Phoenix

Posted: Updated:
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman

PHOENIX -- A 19-year-old man was killed following a fight in a Phoenix neighborhood Wednesday morning, according to police.

It happened around some apartment and condominium complexes on 28th Drive near Cactus Road.

Police said two groups of individuals gathered outside. One group was from a party where there was alcohol, according to police.

"At some point both of these groups meet right in the middle of 28th Drive and a fight ensues," said Officer Holmes with the Phoenix Police Dept. "There's an argument. We understand that it turns physical and in that melee a 19-year-old male, black male received severe injuries."

The injured man, Edgar Box, was taken back to an apartment. When the people he was with realized he was in medical distress someone called 911. That was just before 2 a.m.

The Phoenix Police Department and Phoenix Fire Department responded.

The victim was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Police said the fight was not gang related and the death was from a beating and there were no weapons involved.

There was a large police presence on the scene for much of the morning and 28th Drive was closed. The Phoenix Police Department did have a large mobile command center parked on 28th Drive to assist with the investigation.

Police have not made any arrests in the case.

"One thing that we do know is that there are folks on both sides of 28th Drive that know what happened last night and they all took off," said Officer Holmes.

Police are asking for anyone who knows anything about the incident to contact the Phoenix Police Department or Silent Witness at 480-948-6377.


Phoenix Police detectives have learned the victim had been involved in an altercation with one male while in the roadway and statements indicate the victim may have been the aggressor and was never struck by anyone during the altercation.

The initial examination of the victim at the hospital also showed no injury to support the victim had been jumped and beaten. 

It has been determined the victim may have died as the result of a medical condition and an autopsy is scheduled.