Your Life A to Z Recipe: Monday, February 3rd, 2014: Sea Scallops with Pearl Barley, Spring Vegetables & Lemon Thyme ButterPosted: Updated:
Sea Scallops with Pearl Barley, Spring Vegetables &
Lemon Thyme Butter
Yield: 2 servings
4 each Sea scallops, approx. 1-1/2 oz each
To taste Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp Olive oil
1 small Yellow squash, diced
1/2 cup Barley, cooked in 2-3/4 cups water
1 cup Vegetable stock
1-1/2 cups Asparagus, cut in 1” pieces (approximately 6 large spears)
2 tsp. Fresh thyme
2 cups Red chard or other braising green, cut in strips
2 each Plum tomatoes, cut in chunks
2 tsp Lemon zest
1/4 cup Crème fraiche (substitute sour cream)
1 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1. Heat a steel sauté pan over high heat. Season the scallops with salt and pepper; add 1 Tbsp of the olive oil to the hot pan and carefully lay in the scallops. Sear well on one side, turn and cook to medium-rare. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
2. Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add yellow squash and cook until tender (approx. 2 minutes). Add cooked barley and 1 cup stock; bring to a boil.
3. Stir in asparagus, thyme, greens and tomatoes. The mixture should somewhat resemble a risotto at this point. Stir until asparagus is done and liquid thickens.
4. Meanwhile in a separate bowl, whisk the lemon zest into the crème fraiche, season with salt and pepper.
5. Stir the butter into the barley mixture, season with salt and pepper and transfer to a serving bowl. Arrange two scallops on top of each serving and place a spoonful of crème fraiche between them. Sprinkle with hazelnuts and serve.