Your Life A to Z Recipe: Wednesday, February 5th, 2014: Asparagi Due Uova & CuscusuPosted: Updated:
Your Life A to Z Recipe: Wednesday, February 5th, 2014
By: Executive Chef Chris Nicosia
Asparagi Due Uova
(asparagus with two eggs)
Asparagus Spears, trimmed and blanched - 13
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - ¼ cup
Organic Eggs - 4 each
Bottarga, grated - 2 Tbsp
Lemon Juice - 2 Tbsp
Parmesan, shaved (optional)- ¼ cup
Salt and pepper - to taste
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees
- Toss asparagus in extra virgin olive oil, and season with salt and pepper
- Divide asparagus among 4 single serving sized baking dishes and place in oven
- Meanwhile, in a non-stick pan, cook eggs slowly in 2 tsp. olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- When eggs are half way cooked, slide one egg onto each serving of asparagus and return to oven to finish cooking, about one more minute.
- Remove asparagus from oven and finish with a twist of pepper, a sprinkle of lemon juice, bottarga, and parmesan if you like.
(Sicilian style shellfish stew)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1/2 cup
Leeks, halved and chopped - 1 cup
Fennel bulb, shaved thinly - 1 cup
Garlic Cloves, shaved thinly - 5 each
Saffron Threads - 1 tsp.
Hot Chile Flakes (optional) - 2 Tsp.
Tomatoes, canned chopped - 1 & 1/2 cup
Cherrystone Clams, scrubbed - 8 each
Shrimp, jumbo peeled and deveined - 8 each
Mussels, scrubbed - 12 each
Couscous - ½ cup
Fish Stock - 3 cups
Dry White Wine - 2 cups
Calamari, cut into rings and full tentacles - 1 lb.
Salt and Pepper - to taste
Italian Parsley, roughly chopped - ¼ cup
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium high heat in a large heavy bottomed soup pot
- Add the leeks, fennel, garlic, saffron, and chile flake if using, and cook until soft, about 6 minutes
- Add tomatoes, clams, shrimp, mussels, and couscous, and season with salt and pepper
- Add white wine and fish stock, stir, bring to a boil, cover and cook for about 3-4 minutes
- Add calamari and cook for another 2 minutes
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper
- Discard any clams and mussels that do not open
- Divide stew among 4 warm bowls, top each with parsley and a drizzle of remaining olive oil
- Serve with crusty bread if you like