Hazmat crews find high levels of carbon monoxide in Scottsdale warehouse

Posted: Updated:
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- The Scottsdale and Phoenix fire departments responded to a meat storage plant after workers started complaining of headaches Friday morning.

One worker drove himself to a hospital before hazardous-materials crews arrived at the plant near Hayden and Redfield roads in Scottsdale at around 7 a.m.

Nine workers were evaluated and three were transported to area hospitals with symptoms that were not life-threatening, according to Scottsdale Fire Department Division Chief Jay Ducote.

Hazmat crews detected high readings of carbon monoxide in the warehouse. The area was ventilated, but Ducote said it took a while to get the CO to normal levels.

The problem was isolated to a propane-powered forklift and it was taken out of service for inspection.

Workers eventually were allowed back into the building.