2 Fires start hours apart at Phoenix homePosted: Updated:
PHOENIX -- Seven people escaped an early morning house fire Wednesday, the second fire at their home in less than nine hours.
It happened in the neighborhood of 11th Street and Hatcher Road.
According to one of the people who lived in the house, there was a fire in the kitchen at about 8 p.m. Tuesday.
"I don't know how to describe it, but the whole kitchen went up," Reggie Davis told 3TV's Javier Soto.
Davis and one of his roommates doused it with a garden hose.
"The kitchen was pretty much destroyed …, but the whole rest of the house was fine," he said.
Davis and his roommates went about their business, planning to deal with the mess in the kitchen Wednesday. They never got the chance
At about 4 a.m., less than nine hours after the kitchen fire, the residents' landlord told them there was smoke billowing from the attic. Checking the other side of the house, Davis and his roommates saw quite a bit of smoke under the carport.
Davis immediately called 911.
"As soon that the fire department got here, that's when it went up," he said.
Davis and the other six people who live in the home were already safely out of the house by the time firefighters arrived.
"Thank God … the landlord came out like that," he said. "I can't imagine what would have happened if we were asleep. Man, that would have been ugly."
Firefighters said there were flames shooting from the roof at one point. Crews cut a hole in the roof to get access to the attic. They were able to get control of the situation quickly.
It's not clear what sparked the fire or if the kitchen fire hours earlier was a factor.
"You never think that this is going to happen to you," he said. "I thank God that we're all safe."