The fire started on the third floor. According to the Mesa Fire Department, the sprinkler system at the complex kicked in and did its job. By the time crews arrived on the scene, the sprinklers had mostly doused the flames.
Investigators are not sure what sparked the fire, but they believe it started in the bedroom of the victim's apartment. The man, who has not been identified, was taken to Arizona Burn Center at Maricopa Medical Center. His prognosis was not immediately available.
While the bulk of the damage was contained to the victim's apartment, the Fire Department said 10 other people were displaced because of water damage from the sprinklers.