Your Life A to Z Tuesday, January 14th, 2014 Winter Vegetable Stew with Tepary Beans and Pistou, Tuesday, January 14th, 2014Posted: Updated:
Winter Vegetable Stew with Tepary Beans and Pistou
Yield: About 4-6 servings
1/2 cup Tepary beans
7 cups Vegetable broth
As needed Kosher salt
2 each Carrots, medium size, cut into 1/2 inch dice (6 oz)
2 med. Parsnips. peeled and cut into ½ inch dice (6 oz)
2 med. Rutabagas, peeled and cut into ½ inch dice (6 oz)
1 Tbsp Olive oil
2 each Leek, white part, cut into ½ inch dice
1/2 lb Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 large Red Pepper, roasted, peeled & cut into strips
To taste Freshly ground black pepper
1 recipe Pistou (recipe follows)
1. Combine the beans, stock and ½ tsp salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and cook until tender, about 90 minutes.
2. Add the carrots, parsnips & rutabagas to the pot. Season with salt and pepper, bring back up to a boil, lower heat and simmer until vegetables soften, about 20-30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat a sauté pan over high heat; add the olive oil and pan-sear the leeks and mushrooms until tender, then add to the stew along with the red pepper. Season with a few grinds of pepper, add salt if necessary.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in a dollop of pistou to taste. Serve with crusty bread
3 Tbsp Pine nuts, toasted
2 cups Fresh basil, leaves only
1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves Garlic
To taste Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, pulse until smooth.