8 Puppies killed in mobile home fire in MaricopaPosted: Updated:
MARICOPA, Ariz. -- Eight puppies died after a mobile home caught fire in Maricopa Thursday night.
Firefighters responded to the 19900 block of Condrey Avenue and contained the flames to the back of the residence, sparing the main part of the home.
But as crews contained the fire, residents told them there was a box of puppies still inside the back room.
Firefighters found the box under debris. The puppies were overcome by heat and smoke.
Two of the puppies in the litter, however, were saved by a friend of the residents.
Rosa Marquez, who lives at the home, said her dog, Valentine, gave birth to the 10 puppies Dec. 9.
The home belongs to Marquez's mother-in-law. Marquez moved into the home with her husband, Jose Espinoza, after his right leg was crushed in an auto accident.
"You can't pay bills," Espinoza said. "I had to move back to my mom's house and it's been so hard."
The couple lost their 6-year-old old son in the accident, whose possessions were also destroyed in the fire.
"He was the love of my life," Marquez said. "Everything I had kept that was his was in there and I think that's the part that really hurts me. It's been a rough three months."
Espinoza is facing manslaughter charges related to the accident. He was cited on suspicion of being under the influence.
Fire officials said the cause of the fire was an electrical short. They said extension cords were overloaded and the home had faulty wiring.
No people were injured in the fire.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.