How to keep your pets safe this holiday season

Posted: Updated:
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland

PHOENIX -- As pretty and fun as holiday decorations are, they can be dangerous -- even deadly -- to your pets.

With Barry, a 6-year-old poodle looking for a forever family, nestled comfortably in her arms, Shannon Nalley of Arizona Animal Welfare League ran down some of the common holiday hazards for 3TV's Javier Soto.

Let's start with the tree. Sparkly tinsel is enticing to pets -- to eat. It can cause an intestinal blockage, which generally requires surgery to remedy. Ribbons on the tree and on wrapped packages are a similar danger.

Lights are not only a burn hazard, but pets can also suffer electrical shock if they chew on the wires.

Ornaments, many of which might look like toys to cats and dogs, can shatter and cut delicate paws. They're also a choking hazard.

Pine needles from live trees are not only toxic, but sharp. They can puncture an animal's intestines if eaten.

Mistletoe, holly and poinsettias, all holiday favorites, are also poisonous to animals, as is chocolate.

For more tips to keep your pets safe during the holidays, check out

To learn more about Barry and other animals in the care of AAWL, check out