Man with hatchet shot and killed by police

Posted: Updated:
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Christina O'Haver By Christina O'Haver
Isaac Lankisch, 42 By Mike Gertzman Isaac Lankisch, 42 By Mike Gertzman

PHOENIX -- A man with a hatchet was shot and killed by a Phoenix police officer Friday night when that man threw the hatchet at an officer, according to Sgt. Tommy Thompson with the Phoenix Police Dept.

Police said they were at an apartment complex near 27th and Highland avenues around 8 p.m. investigating an unrelated call, when an aggravated assault was reported in the same complex.

The officers went to that apartment and the occupant told them that a man, identified as 42-year-old Isaac Lankisch, had entered his apartment uninvited and removed something from the table in the apartment.

When the victim tried to stop Lankisch he chased the victim with a knife and hatchet. The victim hid in a bathroom and when Lankisch left his apartment he called police.

Police found Lankisch in front of another apartment complex and said he was carrying a hatchet and a 10-inch hunting knife.

Police said they told Lankisch to drop his weapons, but instead he advanced toward the officers and threw the hatchet at one of the officers.

The officer then opened fire and shot the suspect, police said.

It is unclear how many shots were fired but police said the suspect was hit.

He was being treated at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center where he died.

The 32-year-old officer, whose name was not released, was not injured. He has been with the Phoenix Police Department for nine years.

Ths suspect is likely the same Isaac Lankisch who served time in an Arizona prison from Feb. 2009 to Feb. 2010.

"Any time you have a situation where a suspect approaches one of our officers with an edged weapon, it does not take much time at all to advance to injure or kill one of our officers," Phoenix Police Department spokesman Sgt. Tommy Thompson said. "A knife, an ax -- certainly deadly weapons."

The incident is still under investigation.