Your Life A to Z Recipe: Thursday,December 5th, 2013: Sea bass GanyenyakiPosted: Updated:
Sea bass Ganyenyaki
Serving size 1 (double for 2)
1 Sea bass filet
1 tbsp red miso
1 shiitake mushroom
1 asparagus stalk
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 8 1/2 x 11" piece of Kombu
2 cups fine sea salt
2 eggs (whites only)
1. Heat your med fry pan to med/high
heat. Place oil into your fry pan & place your Sea bass in your pan skin side down. Cook until skin is brown & crisp. Turn over & cook for 1 min on the flesh side.
2. Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees. Place Kombu in large bowl of water until soft. Then create a foil platter to place salt & fish on. Add egg whites to salt & mix until the texture is like soft wet sand.
3. Cut your shiitake mushroom into 6 thin slices & diagonal slices for the asparagus.
4. Lay your foil platter down & place a thin layer of salt on top of the foil for the base. Pat dry your Kombu & place on top of your salt.
5. Cut your Sea bass filet into 5 to 6 equal pieces & lay it on top of the Kombu skin side up. Smear red miso on to of the fish skin. Place one slice of shiitake on the skin w/ one slice of asparagus.
6. Fold Kombu over fish & cover the remaining w/ salt mixture until completely covered. Pack until salt has no cracks.
7. Place into oven & cook until salt becomes golden. Pull out & place on serving plate.
8. Use a knife to cut down the center to crack the salt & push away. Unfold the Kombu to reveal the cooked Sea bass & serve!