Dog blamed for starting apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Three people have been displaced from their apartment after their dog started a fire by accidentally turning on the kitchen stove.

Two neighbors called 911 when they saw smoke coming from the apartment located at the 2100 block of North Bell Avenue.

The fire broke out in the kitchen when a stove burner was left on and items on the stove caught fire. The apartment residents did not use the stove recently, but said their dogs were known to jump up on the counter and stove area. One of the dogs accidentally turned a burner on after jumping on the stove top, investigators said.

When firefighters arrived on scene, they ensured no one was inside the apartment and were able to rescue a dog.

Firefighters began extinguishing the flames in the kitchen once on scene and were able to control the fire within thirteen minutes. A total of nine units and 23 firefighters showed up on the scene.

No firefighters were injured while putting out the fire.

The apartment residents were not home when the fire broke out, but Red Cross helped them when displaced.