Pedestrian killed by collision involving Glendale officer

Posted: Updated:
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman
By Mike Gertzman By Mike Gertzman

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- A female pedestrian was killed when a Glendale police cruiser collided with a van at the intersection of 67th and Glendale Avenues on Saturday afternoon.

The woman, Dorothy Cochran, a Glendale resident in her 60s, was struck when the van ended up on the sidewalk. She was thrown into the parking lot of an adjacent business, where she was struck by a vehicle being driven by Teresa Doten, a Glendale resident in her 60s.

A male pedestrian was injured. He is reportedly in critical condition. He has been identified as Elmer Hicks, a Glendale resident in his 60s.

The driver of the van, Robert Escobedo, was also critically injured. He is a Glendale resident in his 30s, according to police.

The officer, who was responding to non-emergency call, has minor injuries and is expected to be okay. He was going south on 67th Avenue when a white van heading north turned in front of the officer, according to police.

"At this point there's no indication that the officer was responding with emergency equipment on, doesn't appear that the officer had lights or sirens," said Sgt. Jay O'Neill with the Glendale Police Dept. "We're interviewing several witnesses to determine what the status of the lights were, who made the turn in front of who or what the cause of the primary collision might have been. But that's still under investigation. This is a very fresh scene and it's going to take some time to sort that out."

The officer is Cody Howard, a five-year veteran of the Glendale Police Department who is currently assigned to the Gateway Patrol Division as a patrol officer.

Investigators say the dash cam video from the police unit may help them figure out exactly how the accident occurred.

The officer-involved collision caused another crash involving two other vehicles.

The intersection was expected to remain closed into the evening.