Scramble Stuffed French Toast recipePosted: Updated:
Scramble, a breakfast restaurant on the northwest corner of 7th Street and Mountain View Road, is offering Cranberry Orange Stuffed French Toast as a special this weekend.
The menu item was added to celebrate Thanksgiving and National French Toast Day, which was Friday.
Executive Chef Cameron Froment demonstrated how to cook the dish on "Good Morning Arizona."
9382 N. 7th St., Phoenix
Open daily from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Lunch available from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Cranberry Orange Stuffed French Toast
Yield: Four servings
Orange Vanilla Custard
• 8 eggs
• ½ cup heavy whipping cream
• ½ cup whole milk
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 1 tbsp vanilla
• ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
• ½ tbsp orange zest
Orange Cranberry Cream Cheese Filling
• ½ lb cream cheese
• ¼ cup cranberry compote (reduce ½ cup cranberries in simple syrup)
• ¼ cup diced fresh orange
• ½ tbsp orange zest
• ¼ cup dried cranberries
• 1 tbsp sugar
1. In a small pot, reduce fresh cranberries with simple syrup until the cranberries have dissolved. Allow to cool.
2. Pull cream cheese from refrigerator and allow to soften.
3. Mix custard ingredients in small mixing bowl with a whisk. Continue until the mixture is consistent and all egg yolks are distributed throughout the custard.
4. Slice 24-inch baguette on the bias into ½-inch thick slices should produce roughly 24 slices. Allow bread to sit out and begin to harden.
5. Once cream cheese has softened and the cranberry compote has cooled combine in a mixing bowl with fresh diced oranges, orange zest, dried cranberries and sugar. Instead of blending with a hand mixer, fold to maintain the bits of fresh and dried fruit.
6. Place 1 tbsp of orange cranberry cream cheese filling between two slices of French baguette. Continue until all have been filled.
7. Warm griddle or large frying pan to 350 degrees, then coat with melted butter.
8. Dunk each piece of stuffed French toast into the orange vanilla custard, then place on the cooking surface and griddle on both sides until golden brown.
9. Remove from cooking surface and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
10. Serve with butter and maple syrup.