PCSO: Explosive devices, grenades found in San Tan Valley home

Posted: Updated:
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas
Wesley Boles By Jennifer Thomas Wesley Boles By Jennifer Thomas
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas

SAN TAN VALLEY, Ariz. – Pinal County sheriff's deputies said they found explosive devices and grenades in a San Tan Valley home while investigating an alleged assault.

On Saturday, the Pinal County Sheriff's Office received a call from a man in Washington state who said that his mother had been involved in an argument with her other son, Wesley Boles, 51, a few days prior during which he had put a gun to her head.

Deputies contacted the alleged victim by phone and she told them that Boles had pointed a handgun at her head and pushed her onto a bed.

PCSO spokesman Tim Gaffney said the woman said she didn't leave the home or call for help because she was afraid of Boles.

A criminal history check showed Boles was a prohibited possessor of a firearm because he has two prior felony convictions.

Detectives and SWAT team members served a search warrant on the residence and found several weapons, improvised explosive devices, homemade explosive devices and a large amount of ammunition, according to Gaffney.

The Arizona Department of Public Safety Bomb Squad responded and helped recover the devices and disarm them. Detectives seized 28 firearms, two Class 3 weapons, two suppressors, two 37 mm rocket-propelled grenades, five homemade explosive devices, an explosive detonator, and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

Gaffney said a closet in Boles' bedroom was booby-trapped with a rifle set to fire when the door was opened.

Boles was taken into custody and admitted to assaulting his mother and possessing firearms and ammunition, according to Gaffney.

When Boles arrived at the Pinal County Jail to be booked for aggravated assault, possession of a firearm by a prohibited possessor and possession of drug paraphernalia, detectives attempted to question him further about his plan for the explosive devices, but Boles began to have convulsions.

Medical aid was provided and he was transported to a local hospital where he was put into a medically induced coma. Gaffney said it is unknown if the medical issue was a result of his recent use of methamphetamines.

Boles was released from the hospital on Tuesday and has been booked. Additional charges related to the possession of the explosive devices are pending.