Chandler High fired up to take on Hamilton in semifinalsPosted: Updated:
CHANDLER, Ariz. -- Some 3,000 Chandler High School students took part in an all-school pep rally Monday morning, hours before the big game against Hamilton.
The Chandler-Hamilton match-up, like all of the other high school semifinal games, was delayed by the last fall storm that rolled through Arizona Friday and Saturday.
While players and coaches describe disappointment, AIA Executive Director Harold Slemmer said standing water made the fields unplayable and unsafe.
"This goes beyond a muddy field, this is a field that’s got standing water all over it. It’s going to certainly cause an issue with kids controlling their movements in the game, and that’s going to certainly increase the risk of injury," he said.
The playoff games were rescheduled and will be played this evening. The championship games are still scheduled for Friday.
- D-1 #1 Mountain Pointe vs. #4 Desert Ridge at McClintock High School
- D-1 #2 Chandler vs. #3 Hamilton at Highland High School
- D-II #1 Salpointe Catholic vs. #12 Deer Valley at Marana High School
- D-II #2 Mesquite vs. #3 Chaparral at Gilbert High School
- D-III #1 Williams Field vs. #4 Queen Creek at Campo Verde High School
- D-III #2 Saguaro vs. #3 Desert Edge at Arcadia High School
- D-IV #1 Show Low vs. #4 Blue Ridge at Snowflake High School
- D-IV #2 Seton Catholic vs. #6 River Valley at North Canyon High School
- D-V #1 Arizona Lutheran vs. #4 Round Valley at Paradise Valley High School
- D-V #3 Yuma Catholic vs. #7 Thatcher at Cibola High School
For more information and schedules, visit: http://www.aiaonline.org/.
"Varsity Zone" will air Monday at 10:30 p.m. on 3TV.