Your Life A to Z Recipe: Monday, November 18th, 2013: Braised Kale with a Poached Egg & Basil over PolentaPosted: Updated:
Your Life A to Z Recipe: Monday, November 18th
By: Chef Chuck Wiley, Café ZuZu at Hotel Valley Ho
Braised Kale with a Poached Egg & Basil over Polenta
Yield: 4 Servings
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 small Onion, diced
1 bunch Lacinado kale, ribs removed, torn in bite-size pieces
As needed Lemon, juice and zest
1/2 lb Tomatoes, core removed and cut into 3/4 inch chunks
4 each Poached eggs, cooked for 6-7 minutes in a poaching pan (or to desired doneness)
1 recipe Polenta (recipe follows)
1 Tbsp Hot sauce (optional)
2 Tbsp Basil leaves, torn
1. Heat a sauté pan over med. high heat. Add the oil and onion; sauté over low heat until onions are caramelized and golden brown. Add the kale, lemon and tomatoes; season with salt & pepper, cover and wilt briefly, about 2 minutes.
2. Spoon some of the polenta in a shallow bowl and mound some of the vegetables over the polenta.
3. Place a poached egg on top of each mound of kale. Spoon some hot sauce over the egg if desired and sprinkle with the basil leaves.
1 cup Course polenta
2 Tbsp Butter
3/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
To taste Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a 4 qt. saucepan, salt to taste
2. Slowly whisk in the polenta. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.