APACHE JUNCTION, Ariz. -- A 57-year-old man from Apache Junction was rushed to the Maricopa County Burn Center in Phoenix after his motor home caught fire Wednesday evening.
According to Apache Junction Fire District officials, firefighters rushed to the 300 block of North Ocotillo Drive around 5:30 p.m. They found a motor home engulfed in flames and a man with serious burns.
Apparently, the man had been cooking when some grease caught fire. He couldn't put it out but was able to escape and neighbors found him sitting on the motor home’s front steps looking stunned with flames leaping behind him.
Neighbors helped him to safety.
Originally, he was taken to a local hospital but was then flown to the burn center with second- and third-degree burns to much of his upper body.
Neighbors were worried not only about the man, but their own property as well because the fire started setting off live ammunition inside the burning home.
"Oh yeah, I was worried," said James Theirel, a neighbor who witnessed the fire. "Then I heard a pop and I said, 'Hey, this guy has firecrackers,' and the cop says, 'No, it's ammunition.' So I was scared, yeah."
At last check, the man was still in the burn center in serious condition.